Online Organic Chemistry Courses
Summer Session 2023
This summer, UConn will offer Organic Chemistry I and II (UCONN CHEM 2443 & 2444) in a convenient online format. Both of these 3-credit courses can be completed 100% online, and in consecutive order from anywhere in the world. The Organic Chemistry Lab course (CHEM 2445) is only offered in-person on the Storrs Campus.
Both CHEM 2443 (Organic Chemistry 1) and 2444 (Organic Chemistry 2) courses are taught by UConn's engaging and prolific instructor, Nicholas Leadbeater.
Organic Chemistry I (CHEM 2443)
The first part of a regular two-semester course sequence.
- Bonding, hybridization, structure and nomenclature of organic compounds.
- Physical and chemical properties, and the reaction chemistry of linear and cyclic alkanes, alkenes, dienes, and alkynes.
- Concepts of nucleophilic substitution and elimination in alkyl halides and alcohols, and prediction of the mechanism of the reactions based on the nature of the reactants.
- Stereochemistry in organic molecules.
Organic Chemistry II (CHEM 2444)
The second part of a regular two-semester course sequence.
- Bonding, structure and reaction chemistry of benzene and substituted benzenes.
- Physical and chemical properties, and the reaction chemistry of carbonyl compounds.
- Mechanism of reactions in electrophilic and nucleophilic aromatic substitutions, and nucleophilic acyl substitution based on the nature of the reactants.
- Principles and applications of mass spectrometry, and infrared, ultraviolet-visible, and nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy data for the characterization of organic compounds.
- Reaction chemistry of organometallic compounds, and homogeneous catalysis using transition-metal complexes.